Match Report


Date Filed: 25 June 2022

Aghaderg’s senior footballers kicked off the second stage of their league campaign on a warm and humid summer evening in Aghaderg against an in-form and fancied Kilclief team.
Despite some very direct and pacy running at the Aghaderg back line early on, Kilclief could not make their early pressure count on the score-board with only one point and several wides. Aghaderg who were riding their luck a little, adjusted their shape, settled down and from then on looked a lot more solid. The Aghaderg midfield began to dominate possession from kick-outs and sent quick balls into a busy Aghaderg forward line. This resulted in two frees which were calmly slotted over by Rory Simpson and Chrissy McEvoy.

It was approaching 15 minutes before Kilclief scored their second point but Aghaderg were to reply in style. A clever pass put Chrissy McEvoy through on goal but he was taken down in the square just as he went for goal. The resulting penalty was despatched to the net to put Aghaderg into a 3 point lead. Unfortunately, this hard-earned advantage was to disappear with a quickly taken Kilclief free catching the Aghaderg backline out …and suddenly Kilclief had a goal of their own to draw level. Aghaderg then produced another fine attacking move which ended with Keelin Doyle and Chrissy McEvoy linking up to bear down on the Kilclief goal., Chrissy McEvoy drew the Kilclief goalkeeper out and unselfishly sent a hand pass sideways to Doyle who palmed the ball in for Aghaderg’s second goal.
Aghaderg added two more points but Kilclief, realising they were in a real battle, rallied strongly and finished out the half with three points. Kilclief’s ability to isolate Aghaderg players and turn over possession gave Aghaderg plenty of food for thought as they went in at half time with a narrow two point lead.

Half-time score: Aghaderg 2-4 Kilclief 1-5.

Kilclief started the second half strongly with two good points to draw the sides level again. Great credit must go to the Aghaderg lads who kept their cool and went to work. Having been introduced at half time, Cailum Meara made his presence known in midfield with plenty of aggressive tackling. Kilclief started to put the ball forward quicker but the Aghaderg backline were outstanding with great interceptions, turnovers and support play across the board. The Aghaderg half back line began carrying the ball out at pace with Ryan Donnelly in particular catching the eye with several strong runs.

The Kilclief back line continued to struggle with Aghaderg’s direct approach and resorted to fouling on many occasions. Their indiscipline was to cost them dearly with Chrissy McEvoy slotting over 5 second half frees along with a point from play to cap a very good nights work. The rest of the Aghaderg half forward and full forward line were seeing plenty of ball too and putting Kilclief under severe pressure. Joe O’Kane who had been busy causing problems for the Kilclief defence all night had sight of goal and blazed just over for a point before narrowly curling his next opportunity just wide.

Aghaderg finished in style with a calmly taken goal by Ethan Copes and a final point which started from another surging run by Ryan Donnelly from the half-back line. Kilclief responded with points of their own from distance but with Aghaderg 7 points up and time running out had to try for goals. Aghaderg were in no mood to concede and saw the game out with a final scoreline of,

Aghaderg 3-12 Kilclief 1-12.

This was an enjoyable game by two well-matched teams who both put in a huge effort. In the end, it was Aghaderg’s sheer work rate and their attacking and defending as a unit in the second half that sealed another victory and continues a great run of form.

A big Thank You to Linda McEvoy and her helpers for the tea, coffee and sandwiches afterwards - much appreciated by the players.